Friday, July 20, 2007

The last of their kind.



I discovered them living in a box in a shoebox in the bottom draw of the desk in the garage. The last known surviving members of the ancient ‘Cassette Tribe’ thought to have been extinct in my home for many years. When I first opened the box, fear of heat damage caused most of the tribe to run for cover. But one brave warrior remained to face me. There were obvious language barriers. The Cassette tribe speak ancient analogue, almost unheard of in this digital age, but we managed to communicate through a crude sign language made up of basic dance floor moves from the 70’s and early 80’s. He told me of his tribes glory days when his people, plentiful in numbers, lived in their traditional homelands in stereo cabinet and car glove box. But things began to change when the shiny newcomers entered the cassette’s tribal area. At first the cassettes hoped to live in peace with the CD’s but as the 80’s progressed the CD’s numbers grew and the cassettes found themselves slowly pushed out of the homes they had known. The Warrior I spoke to had long ago lost his case and his marking were faded but he told me his name was Toto’s Greatest Hits. Just before he left to rejoin his people he let me take his photo.

No comments: